The McKinsey study, which analyzed a variety of industries, also found a “clear link between design best practice and financial performance – whether product, experience or service design.
According to the study, companies that are among the design pioneers were able to increase their sales and the returns of their shareholders almost twice as fast as their competitors over the year as a whole. Over five years, these companies have seen 32 percent higher sales growth and 56 percent higher shareholder returns.
Investors also seem to have recognised this: The theme-based trading portfolio “Killer Design” of the Swiss financial portal Swissquote is partly based on the Design Value Index 2015 and comprises six important criteria:
1. Design is used extensively throughout the company, both in its divisions and in the form of a centrally managed function with a significant impact on management.
2. Design flows noticeably into the structures and processes of the company, for example into its organizational charts and workflows.
3. The Design function is led by an experienced executive in or at management level, who has 15 to 20 years of experience in design management and is able to communicate with those responsible at the highest level.
4. Due to the growing importance of design, investment in this area is being stepped up.
5. Design is a centrally managed function with a strong impact on management.
6. The company has been traded on a US stock exchange for ten years.
Do you want to consult branding and positioning with our experts?